Rescue dogs

Colchester: Firefighters save dogs from kitchen fire

FIREFIGHTERS rescued three dogs after a kitchen caught fire when no one was home.

Two Colchester crews attended the scene in Egret Crescent, Colchester, after neighbors spotted smoke billowing from the property and sounded the alarm.

When the brigade arrived shortly before 9 p.m. on Sunday, the kitchen was fully on and no one was home at the time.

Action – crews work on the scene

Three dogs – a doberman and two spaniels – were rescued and, thankfully, unharmed.

Colchester team leader Darren Waite said: “Firefighters did a brilliant job of containing this fire in the kitchen of this house – when we arrived it was spreading rapidly.

“The quick actions of the neighbors in calling 999 immediately when they noticed smoke made all the difference. If they hadn’t it could easily have been much more serious, especially for the three dogs involved.

Gazette: Rescued - the dogsSaved – the dogs

“This incident demonstrates once again that leaving materials on your hob, whether it’s kitchen utensils, linens, tea towels – or as we saw in this case, rubbish – is incredibly dangerous.

“If the cooktop is accidentally left on or turned on, anything on it will quickly ignite. Please don’t take any chances and never use your cooktop as a storage space. ”

The fire was extinguished at 9:35 p.m., its cause being recorded as accidental.